May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
Express Family Care is supporting the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness & Nutrition in honor of National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. During the month of May, we challenge all adults to get 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
Did you know that regular physical activity increases your chances of living a longer, healthier life? It also reduces your risk for high blood pressure, heart disease, and some types of cancer. Yet in Oklahoma nearly 57% of adults and 62% of children don’t get the recommended amount of physical activity.
The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend that adults:
- Aim for 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity each week. Moderate activity includes things like walking fast, dancing, swimming, and raking leaves.
- Do muscle-strengthening activities – like lifting weights or using exercise bands – at least 2 days a week.
Physical activity is for everyone. No matter what shape you are in, you can find activities that work for you. Together, we can rise to the challenge and get more active during the month of May!
- Try out one of the fabulous new walking/biking trails around Oklahoma City.
- Enjoy some time outside at one of our lakes or parks during the fabulous spring weather.
- Children have a sporting event? Walk laps of the field or climb the stairs while waiting on the game to start.
For more information, visit Express Family Care.
Jimmy Tisdale is a graduate of the OU Family Nurse Practitioner Program. He focuses on providing prompt, thorough care while educating patients about their conditions and ways to stay healthy using current evidence-based research.
Annual Physical, Health Screening Tests and Vaccinations
Certified Medical Examiner for the US Department of Transportation
Minor Burns, Scrapes & Cuts Requiring Stitches/Staples
On site cholesterol and diabetes screening.
Family Planning, Well Woman Exams, Birth Control
Get Your Young Athlete Prepared for the Season